Suddenly a new icon appeared on my Windows 8.1 desktop, a Homegroup icon that is. It could be a bug.
The procedure to remove it from the desktop is as follows:
- Right click on your desktop.
- Click on 'Personalize'.
- On the left side of the Control Panel window there's a link 'Change desktop icons'. Click on it.
- Remove the checkmark with the 'Network' desktop icon and click 'apply'.
- Apply the checkmark with the 'Network' desktop icon again and click 'apply'.
- The Homegroup icon should be gone.